Thursday, 28 April 2011

Words

Where to start? Over five years since I was granted day parole on a life sentence and here I am attempting, after my third suspension, to make it. So why the hell has it been so difficult for me? What is it that seems to get in my way? I am an intelligent person. I have post secondary education, business sense, and charisma. The issue is that I keep on shooting myself in the foot by using drugs.
Is it complacency?
Is it stress?
Is it self hatred?
Is it poor impulse control?
Or do I simply like drugs so much that the decision to use eclipses common sense?
The next time I use there will be one of two consequences:
                     - Another 2 to 5 years in prison
                     - Death
But has either of those consequences stopped me in the past...no.
I desperately want to stay free, I love the choices and freedoms. I hate prison, the violence, hatred, loneliness, loss, self hatred, etc. I have done extensive psychological work, cognitive behavior therapy, and changed myself extensively throughout the years. I am not the same person I was fifteen years ago when my crime was committed yet I still have not shed off the addiction.
My longest clean time was 4 and a half years. I love being straight but it should be said that the majority of that time was while I was in prison.
Am I institutionalized? Is the reality of life out here where I have to work hard at gains instead of everything being done for me just too difficult? I certainly hope not because I have a strong sense of self worth and that would be a kick in the balls.
During the years of sobriety in prison I wrote everyday. Two novellas, theatrical plays, and numerous poems as well as a daily journal are my literature accomplishments. I even had a few of my works published while inside. Five years of off and on freedom and what I haven't done is write more than a few pages in all that time.
So this may be my last chance at freedom, and I am going to change something up, I am going to write again and this for now will be my venue.
Cheers
DTO

1 comment:

  1. Dustin,
    I have so much respect for you and encourage you to keep blogging.
    When you see your feelings written in front of you, it is a release.
    I want to wish you continued sobriety. I also hope you have a support system. I can recall things you shared in class. You have so much to offer to others. Your experiences are filled with the truth of it all. My best to you and yours Dustin!
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete